Pages

Welcome to Four Eyes Forum, a meeting place to exchange news and views on food, food photography, the word on food, food science, style and architecture. Join me, the blogger who wears glasses, in this world as I throw out engaging stuff that I think you'll find interesting, beautiful and delicious. As Charles Dudley Warner, American editor and writer, said,
"Lettuce, like conversation, requires a good deal
of oil, to avoid friction, and keep the company
smooth....You can put anything, and the more
things the better, into salad, as into a conver-
sation, but everything depends upon the skill of
mixing."


That's my job.
-Kristin
khalgedahl@gmail.com


(All photographs, unless otherwise cited, copyright
Kristin Halgedahl Photography 2016)



Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I have had an unidentified seasonal nostalgia recently, and the dedication to Dianne Jacob's  book, Will Write For Food nails what it is. It reads,
"To my parents, who taught me to appreciate food as a vehicle for memory and identity...."
Cherries, the stone fruit du jour at today's market, do that to me. I grew up summering with my family in northern Michigan and cherries defined the taste of summer, always on the first grocery list in June, heading up the snack list before chips, dips and soda. Traverse City, known internationally as the Cherry Capitol of the World, kept cherries on the table and at the beach through early August. Every summer.
It's no wonder I remain something of a cherry snob here in northern California, not quite believing that they actually grow here -- Central Valley. Rainer Cherries, o.k. They are the stars of the west coast, in my view, and you PAY for them. 
But Michigan cherries still seem the best, maybe because that taste  allows me to see musical notes on the page at summer music camp again, my brother diving under the surface of Lake Michigan in his swim fins again, my mother making a fuss over cherry stains and sand again. Taste triggering memory and identity, Dianne. Yes, summoned now, in every bite.









No comments:

Post a Comment