Pages

Welcome to Four Eyes Forum, a meeting place to exchange news and views on food, food photography, the word on food, food science, style and architecture. Join me, the blogger who wears glasses, in this world as I throw out engaging stuff that I think you'll find interesting, beautiful and delicious. As Charles Dudley Warner, American editor and writer, said,
"Lettuce, like conversation, requires a good deal
of oil, to avoid friction, and keep the company
smooth....You can put anything, and the more
things the better, into salad, as into a conver-
sation, but everything depends upon the skill of
mixing."


That's my job.
-Kristin
khalgedahl@gmail.com


(All photographs, unless otherwise cited, copyright
Kristin Halgedahl Photography 2016)



Friday, August 20, 2010

FOOD TRENDS 2010 - Drink With An Italian Flair

If you want to startle and delight your dinner guests, make and serve them Nocino.
It's an Italian liqueur made with unripe walnuts. Yes, you heard me. Epicurious predicts death to over-the-top theatrical cocktails in 2010. Who has money for those anymore? Maybe one percent of the American population?
Instead, drinks made with simple, good ingredients are taking their place. 
Food trend - liquid. simple. That word keeps surfacing.



Most of us know and love limoncello. Well, Nocino is like that...sort of.
I became aware of it at a recent Farmers' Market here in Santa Rosa, CA.
I took my camera, as always, (usually carry two) but I had a bad attitude that morning.
"What can I find that's new? Nothing, probably. I've shot it all a hundred times."
Oh yeah?


OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH IN THE PHOTOGRAPHY GODS! 
There was a box of something, and a lot of people huddling around it making a big fuss. 
I was immediately drawn in. 
Walnuts were in that box and there was a recipe.





Whoa...amazing. Nocino?
"Oh, yes," said a woman beside me.
"It's wonderful! Are you going to post this on your blog? I forgot a pencil this morning and I need the recipe." 
Indeed. Here it is. Let me know how becoming a liquid chef works out for you.


Elise Bauer on Simply Recipes has the best
story and recipe, so take that for a spin, too.
        ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment