Pages

Welcome to Four Eyes Forum, a meeting place to exchange news and views on food, food photography, the word on food, food science, style and architecture. Join me, the blogger who wears glasses, in this world as I throw out engaging stuff that I think you'll find interesting, beautiful and delicious. As Charles Dudley Warner, American editor and writer, said,
"Lettuce, like conversation, requires a good deal
of oil, to avoid friction, and keep the company
smooth....You can put anything, and the more
things the better, into salad, as into a conver-
sation, but everything depends upon the skill of
mixing."


That's my job.
-Kristin
khalgedahl@gmail.com


(All photographs, unless otherwise cited, copyright
Kristin Halgedahl Photography 2016)



Sunday, August 29, 2010

SIFT, a cupcakery: Eyes Bugged Out




From the polka dots on the window to the kiddie corner inside, it's all bubble gum colors and sugar plum dreams at Sift, Santa Rosa's new, premiere cupcakery, Sift. I know, I know, aren't cupcakes a dying food trend? I don't think so, not yet, not here. It just caught up to getting here in Santa Rosa! Sift resurrects the inner child.










Only a few months old, Sift has been done right. It's always busy, but the wait, if any, is short. And it's fun to while away those minutes looking at adults with eyes bugged out at the choices -- fifteen, plus seasonal flavors, custom cupcakes, Cruffles and Top Cakes. Those numbers double for wedding cake, filling and frosting choices. They also have adorable t-shirts and party items, and the space is rentable. Chandeliers? Tulips? Designer furniture? I love it all.

It's hard to imagine a guy with a host of tattoos is behind much of this, but Christian King, the head decorator, is just that.










He told me that at Sift, they use the art of Gumpaste and fondant to create their cupcakes. It's a 
technique he had to go to Oakland to learn.

And what cupcakes!
They earn a 5 'O' rating on the Four Eyes Rating Scale.
That's 'Whoooooa!'
O.K?


The cupcakes range in density of cake
and intensity of flavor
from these lemon cupcakes
to

Black Cherry Jungle, a rich chocolate cake, black cherry frosting and a cherry on top
to
the wild Irish Carbomb, named after the famous drink that's nothing but trouble-- rich chocolate Guinness cake with Irish Cream frosting.

I've been in three times this week since stumbling upon them while doing some copying downtown.  I suppose this obsession will subside, although I'm afraid of myself. Maybe this is an addiction I can't kick.

Sift
(707) 703-4228
www.siftcupcakery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment